Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Halfway through Scythe

 

Hello Bookies,

World building. That is all I have to say about this book. It has a lot of world building in it. Maybe even more details that I would like to care about to be honest. But the concept is interesting. Even though I feel like the world building is kind of interfering with the plot. From what I understand, the plot is about these two kids from different backgrounds get chosen to be come Scythe Apprentices. They are learning to become Scythes themselves but because they are under the same Scythe and only one can be picked, the Scythedom has decided that the chosen one will have to kill the other. In an attempt to save these two kids from such a fate, the Scythe that took them under their wing sacrifices himself. I guess he was hoping that if he died, the two kids were free to go back to their normal lives. But two other Scythes step up and take one of the two kids. One Scythe is known for their cruelty and not following the rules all that much. The other Scythe is a historic figure that killed the last president that ever lived before the world changed. That is as far as I got. The two kids are now trying to adapt to life with their new Scythe mentor while fearing that one will have to kill the other. I do feel like this book is dragging on a bit but it probably has to do with all of the world building. I'm the type of person that thinks you have at least two, maybe three, chapters to build your world and then just focus on the plot. I feel like the world building is continuous in this book but I'm sure it ended a while back. It just feels like that. As far as I can tell about this book, it's an okay book. I don't hate it and I don't love it. It's kind of in the middle so far.

So until next time....

-Lys

No comments:

Post a Comment